Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Be Your Own Hero"


A little update about what has been going on with the team. We had a recruiting event at Cecil County's Library, the Elkton Branch, we watched "Whip It!." Since 3RRD is the only Roller Derby team in Elkton, this was to get the message out about how fun roller derby can actually be(minus the celebs, illegal blocking, etc. etc.) This was a fun event a few girls showed interest that were a little young but that still means in a few years they'll know where to look!
Something everyone should know going into roller derby, it's a full time job. Not the boring job you have now, it's the job you actually want. You don't get paid, and it's still all you want to do. I've realized within the past month that even if I can't skate well and I feel like I'm pushing myself to the limit and still not doing as great as I would like, it's still the reason I wake up at 8 to get ready for an open skate 30 minutes away. That being said we had a meeting about our first scrimmage! How exciting?! We're going to promote a shit ton and try to get the word out to everyone. I still haven't taken my skills assessment, and probably (unless I all the sudden know how to skate) will end up not being able to skate in the scrimmage which sucks but at the same time it'll probably be the first time I see an actual bout in person! We talked about a lot of things, and it made me nervous but SUPER excited to see how it's going to turn out. We're making progress and it's awesome to see something take shape.
Practice on Sunday was mostly endurance, but it was challenging not repetive so that made it that much better. We practiced knee falls and falling short for a good 15 minutes and now I have a bruise as big as a tennis ball under my knee cap. TIP: When looking for knee pads DO NOT buy ones that come in a three pack, mine are triple 8's which is what a lot of derby girls wear. I made the mistake of buying Triple 8 inline pads, which is NOT like falling on pillows, more like bricks. So, I ordered new fancy smancy Smith Scabs Elites with Leopard print! Hopefully that feels better, I'll update.

FM AMANDA

No comments:

Post a Comment