Thursday, November 18, 2010

FM Amanda



My name is Amanda and I joined 3RRD on November 3, 2010.

I started skating on October 29th, open skates have been my saviors. One day I just got in my head that I needed to be involved in something and starting tossing around the idea of joining a roller derby team. Philly Roller Girls were the obvious option because I live right outside the city. After awhile I realized that besides the fact they're league is very difficult to get on and that you have to be 21 to even show up, I decided to brush up on my skills at open skates and try out in a year. Then I found out about 3RRD which made everything come full circle. I bought a pair of Riedell Carerra's from my local skating rink and a few pads, then I was set.

Showing up to open recruitment has been one of my proudest moments. As dumb as it sounds, I'm not into sports. In high school I wouldn't be caught dead cheering on a team or being involved in ANYTHING. I actually hated being involved in school. So to be honest it was a real maturity test for me. I get shy easily and get frustrated when I can't do things that other people seem to do so naturally so for me to fall on my ass as much as I did and not get up and walk out the door really showed me how different Roller Derby is then anything I've ever tried.

Roller Derby quickly became everything I want to do with my life. I work full time all week and go to open skates almost every other day. I think about it when I wake up and when I'm laying in bed I think to myself all the things I need to improve on. I can barely keep up with anyone on my team but that doesn't matter. A lot of people assume roller derby girls are going to be rough and just expect you to know everything. That is not the case. From what I've learned is it's a common bond between girls that no matter what kind of background.. regardless of race, size, culture.. literally ANYthing is accepted. Everyone understands the difficulties and frustrations that come with trying to skate fast, hard and with all the passion in your body.

I decided to be apart of this blog because of all the people I ask to join the first words out of their mouth are "I haven't skated since..." and as a child/tween I was the girl who held on for dear life at the walls of the rink on the random two birthday parties I attended. The thing about not being able to skate goes out the window once you realize anyone can do it you just have to want it. And to be honest I don't think I've ever wanted something so bad in a long time, maybe even in my entire life.

1 comment: